Andhra Pradesh Power Generation Corporation Limited (APGENCO) commenced its services from February 1999 and is one of the pivotal organizations of Andhra Pradesh, engaged in the business of power generation, transmission, and distribution of power. Apart from Operation and Maintenance of the power plants, APGENCO is responsible for the execution of the ongoing & new power projects and the modern renovation of the old power stations. APGENCO contributes to 41% of the total energy requirement of Andhra Pradesh.
APGENCO aiming to build a Tier-III compliant Data Center was looking for a consultant to design the Data Center and prepare the RFP. They also wanted a Project Management Consultant (PMC) to carry-out the implementation of the Data Center activities hassle-free. Initially, a PO was issued to several vendors to build the Data Center and APGENCO wanted an efficient PMC as their single point of contact to effectively manage these vendors from project initiation to completion.
APGENCO chose Netcon as their consultant for designing the Data Center and preparing the RFP. Netcon also became the PMC and was solely responsible for the Data Center Design and build, comprising of 53 racks with IT load of 288 kW. As APGENCO’s PMC, Netcon was in charge from the start of construction up to commissioning and handing over of the project.
Netcon, as the PMC was responsible for:
- Preparing the detailed coordinated construction schedule.
- Assembling multi-disciplinary construction management team and have detailed interaction with contractor’s Project Team on behalf of the APGENCO to initiate all preliminary actions and mobilization.
- Conducting site meetings and coordination meetings with APGENCO & contractors to track the project progress for timely completion of the project and handing over the facility to APGENCO.
- Day-to-day supervision of work to ensure proper quality, workmanship, and timely completion of the work as per best practices.
- Facilitating effective coordination between various agencies working at the site and APGENCO to ensure timely availability of the inputs required for un-interrupted construction of Data Center in accordance with agreed programme of the activities.
- Ensuring that the construction drawings are finalized after coordination with other disciplines and all agencies to have clear demarcated responsibility.
- Checking and approving all contractors, sub-contractors, and agencies for carrying out the works.
- Checking and finalizing contractor’s detailed programme of activities in commensuration with the tender provisions.
- Carrying out quality assurances checks and adherence to maintain quality reports.
- Ensuring with contractors that workers adhere to safety requirements at the site.
- Checking if statutory requirements are adhered to while building the Data Center.
Confirming if all the necessary approvals for the Data Center are obtained by contractors/APGENCO from regulatory agencies like COE, CEA, etc.
Executive Engineer, APGENCO