India’s leading financial city implements surveillance system with state-of-the-art City Operation Center to proactively prevent, intelligently track and effectively respond to crimes.
Formed by group of seven islands, this city is famously known as the island city. It is the second most populated city in India and the commercial as well as entertainment capital of India. Post a devastating terrorist attack, the state Government decided to implement a city wide CCTV surveillance system with centralised command & control centre to augment the security and for better preparedness for any future such incidents.
Netcon had the privilege to be part of the design and implementation of the largest city-wide surveillance project for this famous city.
The key challenges were to:
- Upgrade the existing MTNL Datacenters to Tier III compliance without impacting the current DC operations
- Design end to end multicast enabled network for connecting cameras & sensors at traffic junctions for streaming the feeds to Datacenters, CCC and a number of viewing centers
- Design a scalable & fault tolerant compute and storage infrastructure in two Active-Active Datacenters
- Design and implement a suitable solution for integrating video feeds from important commercial buildings (such as Airports, Malls, etc) for on demand viewing in case of any major security incidents.
Netcon came up with a unique solution architecture wherein a dedicated metro ethernet fibre network is established from MTNL POPs to the traffic junctions and police stations using a fast convergence (<50ms) resilient ethernet protocol. Multiple such rings terminate in a dedicated L3 switch stack at the POP which in turn connect to the MPLS network. We collaborated with the service provider to implement multicast over MPLS so that the entire network is end to end multicast enabled.
Our Uptime Institute Certified experts conducted a detailed assessment the existing Datacenters and came up with a upgrade plan to meet the Tier III objectives without disrupting the existing services. With meticulous planning and precise execution, the two DCs were upgraded to Tier III standards and got certified by Uptime Institute.
As a first of its kind in the country for a large surveillance project, the entire solution was implemented in a virtualised environment. Virtualisation has greatly simplified the implementation of high availability (HA), fault tolerance (FT) and implementation of BCP. It has also resulted in improved flexibility & scalability, reduced the physical space requirements and efficient utilisation of compute/storage resources.
Another unique component in the project is collaborative monitoring. We have designed and implemented the network architecture so that the CCTV network in key commercial buildings are seamlessly integrated with the city surveillance solution without any change in the existing network configuration & IP addressing.
- Large multicast enabled MPLS Metro Network supporting 10000+ cameras (multicast sources)
- Two Tier III Certified Data Centers with 99.98% availability
- 6000+ cameras installed in 3000+ locations
- Integrated Subsystems like VMS, ANPR, Video Analytics, and Facial Recognition
- Fully Virtualized Environment
- 2500 Cores of computing and 10PB storage
- Provided 4 Core, 100+ Distribution, 2500+ Outdoor Switches
- 2 x Central Command & Control Centers
- 100+ Viewing centers in Police stations and Zonal offices.
- Active-Active Datacenter with Dual recording of video feeds