Netcon helps IIM-K to design, implement and maintain an intuitive software defined network with Follow-Me dynamic onboarding policies.
Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode
Spread over 112.5 acres of land, the Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode (IIMK), is situated in Kunnamangalam, an ancient city of Calicut in Kerala. It is the most picturesque campus in the country, the world class infrastructure includes digital learning classrooms, digital library and advanced LAN/Wi-Fi connectivity, which enables every IIMK students and faculties to be exposed to an environment of innovation. IIIMK pioneered interactive learning program in India with 300 class contact hours. IIMK’s International Exchange Programme endeavours to work with partner institutions to develop mutual beneficial scholarly social engagement between students and faculty members across the globe.
With the increased demand for their award winning courses, the institution came up with expansion plan to double the student intake capacity to over 1200. While the users and their demands grew, IT team remained lean.
Education landscape is at the crossroads of an amazing digital shift. They are constantly challenged with disruptions from a student body who are digital natives expecting a more intuitive experience. Students at the campuses are like consumers empowered with choice. Faculties expect a digital workplace that allows them to focus on their research and networked experience. This shift in ideology mandates the requirement of smart campus. The IT team had to strike a balance in choosing the right technology for the new infrastructure whilst ensuring seamless integration with the main network located at the primary campus.
IT department listed all the functional requirements and drafted a blueprint to setup a secure, high-performance network with a simplified network management. The technology / functional requirements of IIM, Kozhikode are:
- Experience and enjoy continuous innovation, without having to fear security threats
- Provide 24/7 online experience to students and staff in the large campus area, amidst the constraints of remote nature of the campus
- Connected classrooms with collaborative learning
- Instant high-speed Wi-Fi experience across the campus
- Ensure adherence to security and compliance during user profiling and onboarding
- Control and manage diverse multivendor IT Infrastructure with limited overhead
Netcon’s team of on-site engineers and specialized experts implemented:
- 20 Gig Backbone with High Availability and Adaptive Wi-Fi
- Software Defined Network with policy based automation from edge to cloud and wired to Wireless
- BYOD architecture with One Time Password allowing unsupervised yet secure and seamless onboarding of staff, students and guests
- AI Powered Sandboxing for zero-day threat detection and response against ransomware, malwares, and other unknown threats
- Proactive email security to shield end users ensuring increased productivity
- Strategic Managed Services to handle sophisticated and diverse array of infrastructure with defined SLAs of uptime, performance, and resolution
- Integration between the old and new campus infrastructure for seamless experience
- Cisco Switching, Identity Service Engine, Cisco Wireless
- FortiGate Email Security, FortiGate Advanced Threat Protection
Chief Manager - IT